Almost 150 people attended the 2017 Presidential Inauguration Preparations briefing delivered by the US Secret Service and MPD (Metropolitan Police Department) hosted by the Penn Quarter Neighborhood Association. The briefing took place in the Navy Memorial’s theater yesterday lasting for about one hour where representatives from the US Secret Service and the MPD delivered information about how the 2017 Presidential Inauguration would affect the downtown and Penn Quarter neighborhoods.
The two authoritative sources mentioned in the briefing are:
- US Secret Service website – 3 press releases (PDFs) including maps, street closures, timelines, and a list of items prohibited inside the secured parade route zone
- DC Government website – more localized information about the inauguration including effects on DC city services
The Presidential Inauguration is on Friday, January 20 at the US Capitol and the Inauguration arrangements are similar to the 2013 Presidential Inauguration whereby there will be increasingly secure zones as one gets closer to the National Mall. Preparation for the event begins Wednesday, January 18 and wraps up early Monday, January 23. The bulk of activities take place between early morning on Thursday, January 19 and late in the evening on Saturday, January 21.
A few key points:
- A hard, secure perimeter will be established around the parade route with magnetometer (metal detector) screening at specific entrances – NOTE: Certain items are prohibited and cannot be taken inside the secured parade route zone
- A vehicles road closure perimeter will be established (see red boundary in map below)
- Street and tunnel closures along with associated time lines for those closures are listed on the Secret Service and DC government websites listed above
- Preparations start as soon as Noon on Wednesday, January 18th with the enablement of parking restrictions
Vehicle Restrictions Map
We received word from the Penn Quarter Neighborhood Association that Sephora, the cosmetics retailer, and GRK Fresh Greek, a fast casual Greek style eatery, will be leasing the spaces on the ground floor of the newly developed 1000 F St building at the corner of 10th and F St NW. Douglas Development made the announcement via e-mail – see the rendering of the whole building here. Both these spots will fill in that side of F Street with street level activity.
GRK Fresh Greek has one other DC location currently found on 19th St between L and M. The menu for that location can be found here. Sephora has a few locations around the DC Metro area with Georgetown and Arlington currently being the closest to Penn Quarter.
No specific timeline has been mentioned but we keep our readers posted.
Free State. a new bar in the neighborhood, will be opening tomorrow Wednesday, January 4 at 4 pm at the corner of 5th and G St NW (501B G St NW). You can find the staircase entrance leading to the basement bar on G St below Bantam King.
Free State described itself on Facebook as “a family-run, neighborhood bar opening in late 2016/early 2017 that focuses on craft beer, cocktails and wines from the Mid-Atlantic region.” Washingtonian has the details on the owners, the bar, and the bar’s focus. The starting beer menu can be found here.
We’re taking a break until Tuesday, January 3, 2017 and wish our readers a Happy New Year until then. A new bar is opening in the neighborhood next week but we’ll let you know exactly where and when after the holiday. Stay tuned to our Twitter account and Facebook page for a hint!